Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Shows- Detroit Cobras at PJ's Lager House


This show was actually over a month and a half ago, but better late than never I suppose! The Lager House traded over their event room for a tent in the parking lot September 27th and 28th. It may sound strange, but it worked out perfectly, and it was definitely a night to remember.  Opening up the night were Nashville based rockers, Natural Child. They zoomed through a quick set of covers, and a TON of jams from their new albums For The Love Of The Game, and Hard In Heaven. (Both came out this year, and both really rule).  I didn’t catch much of TYVEK’s set, because I was inside eating cheese fries and talking music with Natty Child, but there were a couple of songs they played that I remembered from their Live At Third Man Records album, which was pure genius. About 15 minutes after they wrapped up, a tall slender man hopped on stage. I didn’t know who he was prior to this show, but now I realize I should’ve been listening to him for a long time. Mr. Davis ran through a great set of tunes that all had a story behind them. Of particular interest was W.C.T.P., which evolved from a tender ballad to a Shout like sing-along. Plus, his guitar player looks a lot like Tim Curry, just an observation. I hadn’t seen the Detroit Cobras’ before, but I was always a big fan.  Rachel Nagy has one of the most powerful voices in Detroit, and Mary Cobra’s guitar licks are tasty.  They went through, hit after hit. Some highlights were Hey Sailor, Cha Cha Twist, and Cry On. Thanks to PJ and the Lager House for getting this together, I look forward to next year’s. 









-Originally Published on the Metro Times Blogs on November 25th 2012.
Link- http://blogs.metrotimes.com/index.php/2012/11/detroit-cobras-melvin-davis-tyvek-and-natural-child-at-pjs-lager-house/